Friday, July 22, 2011

My "get away" place

Everyone has a place that they go to when they need to escape from their lives for a little while. Actually, I have no idea if everyone has this place, but I would hope so. I don't know what I would do without my escape place. Mine is my family's mountain house that my grandparents/distant relatives own. The house is very old and I have so many memories there from my entire life. It has always been there. The house is on a big hill that overlooks a small lake. It can be very touristy at times, especially around the 4th of July, but it is still as peaceful as I can think of. I am craving this scenery so much right now. Nothing bad is going on in my life. In fact, I may be happier than I have ever been. I still need a break every once in a while, so I go there if I can. I go there and don't think about anything...no heavy burdens, no stress, no annoying people...just me and the house and the lake. I am hoping to be there very soon, if only for a couple of days. I need to breathe the fresh air that Charlotte is not at all capable of providing.





That is the lake. I sincerely hope that it never succumbs to suburbia. This place is almost like a family member. I walk around the trails of the lake, constantly thinking and clearing my head. It is always so comforting and massively refreshing to be there.

You know what I have realized, recently? Dan in Real Life is my absolute favorite movie and this place is why. I don't think my family has ever been as cheerful and drama-free as the family in that movie, but it's close! No one else likes the movie all that much so I kept wondering why I liked it so much. All I could think about was this place. It is such a feel-good-romantic-comedy, which I am all about, so I knew I liked it because of that. But, the family feel in the movie is what gets me.

This is how I think I was while there with my cousins...completely oblivious to grown up drama and just caught up in ourselves haha

My family used to come to the mountain house every summer for at least the 4th of July. My cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles would all come up and spend time together with good food and good fire works. I am so grateful for having somewhere like this to come to and feel at home, yet far away from my life. I found myself craving this place once I got into college and my life turned into one big adventure after another. I needed any form of normalcy back in my life and found that this house made me feel at home, no matter what was changing in my life. I am a very sentimental person, so going here has always been comforting for me. I do the same things every time I go, feel the same every time I go, and can go back to my life after a few days feeling recharged and ready to take on more changes. I would love to live there, but then I guess it would turn into the normal and not be my escape anymore...which I am sure I will always need every once in a while no matter how good life is at the time.

Over the past few years, my friends and I have been going up to the mountain house over winter break and spending a few days after exams just relaxing and having a good time. I'll share some pictures from one trip when we were caught in a massive snow storm that left 17 inches of snow and no power for four days...but it was amazing :)

Like I said, this is my escape and I've got the itch to go so badly lately. Hopefully, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment